Thursday, February 28, 2008

"Take Care of Your Boy"

He sat alone, although a crowd encircled him in the overly-heated room. Many friends and family had come to pay respects, but no one could begin to have words that would comfort, or offer apologies that would alleviate his sorrow.

I tried to picture myself in his place: sitting uncomfortably in the overstuffed chair, staring out the window into the winter landscape, listening to the dull voices of those sharing memories and tearful embraces. I tried to put myself in his place, but the pain was too overwhelming, the grief too heavy for my frame. My God, how can he bear this? How could this have happened?

His son lay in the next room, killed by his best friend, with what was thought to be an unloaded gun.

My son stands in the dimly lit doorway of the funeral home greeting a small group of people who have just arrived. I hear him recite his name to those who have come here be alongside of this family who has lost so much. We are a part of this community, a part of these lives, and together we have come to grieve as one and say goodbye to a friend, a neighbor—a son.

I look at my 15-year old and I see the best in me: I see his unique personality that has developed from his view of the world, and from the unusual experiences he has had moving cross-country (more than a couple of times) and having his folks involved with the arts and ministry. When I look at him, I see the little boy that would make sketchbooks full of sea monsters, the boy that would chase the ocean waves and stare up into the redwoods in wonder. I see the child who would sleep with his toy trucks and build spacecraft with his Lego's and call charlie-horses "horsey-joes." My son, the child who prayed each night for two years that God would provide him the perfect dog, the one who worked beside me to renovate our first house. I see the football player, the joker, the romantic. I see the boy who is fast becoming a man—who told us that he didn't know how he would do today, and asked us to be close. I understood. Less than a year ago we were in the same room as he grieved with a friend who lost his mom. He is holding fast, our eyes meet and he gives me a sign that he is okay.

Being new in our community, I never met this dad before, but I knew that I had to go to him.

Walking over, I offer my hand and sit down. He knows my son and tells me a story about him and his boy, and we both share a smile. This memory brings him joy for a moment, until once again the overbearing reality sets in, that his son is now gone.

“I can’t bear to go into the other room,” he says, “I can’t see my boy like that.”

Turning his head away, he cries, wiping the tears as they flow down the well-worn paths on his face. As I sat there in the silence of his grief, deep down I knew that we shouldn't be here—this should not be happening. We should be at a basketball game or a concert, anywhere else—anywhere but here.

I didn't know what to do, but to just be there. Looking at him, I uttered the only thing I knew to be true, "You will see him again," I said, as my hand fell onto his shoulder.

His eyes were red, and his voice stifled, but he managed to look up and say that this was his hope.

As I got up to leave, his eyes fixed on mine, and he said to me, "Take care of your boy."

I could sense his love for his own son in these words, and knew they would echo in my heart for a long time, because the meaning of his words were: "Take care not to miss even a moment of time you could spend together with your son. Help him know who he is and how proud you are of him. Tell him that you love him.

"I will," I said, keeping his gaze, "I will."

19 comments:

terri said...

i'm so sorry. i'm so sorry.

i know about this...been in these places that are so wrong somehow. i've been to too many children's funerals. there is no way to really take it in.

take care of yourself as well as your boy. God have mercy.

Sarah said...

I clicked over from...Kirsten's blog, I think ;)

I'm so sorry. I, too, know some about this...when death comes and it shouldn't have.

Take care, and let God care, too.

christianne said...

oh, i'm so sorry, too, 23 degrees. this was such a heartbreaking story.

i started reading this post and recognized quickly it had to do with attending a funeral, and i found it appropriate, since kirk and i attended a funeral today for his best friend's dad.

but then i kept reading and realized how utterly different the situation was, and my heart felt heavy with sadness for this family and all of you who know him.

the stories you told of what you see in your son were precious. such richness there. you see so much, i can tell.

again, i'm sorry. thank you for sharing this story with us. it must have been a hard one to write.

23 degrees said...

Terri, thanks for stopping by and your kind words. I am still stunned by it all.

Sarah, thanks for connecting, I appreciate it. Please keep the families in your prayers. The young man who pulled the trigger is about the nicest kid you would ever meet, and I know he will have a tough time walking through this.

Christianne, I appreciate your tenderness here. I actually was afraid to try and write this out and knew that I couldn't really express what happened very well, but nonetheless, I tried. Still shaking my head. My heart is still heavy.

Sorry to hear of Kirk's dad dying. Praying for you guys and for his friend's family.

mommanator said...

what a lovely empassioned blog! save it for your son when he is older!

kirsten said...

oh my. there really are no words for grief and pain like this. there is nothing that can be offered to make it better. it simply must be walked through.

take care of your boy.

my heart feels so heavy for you. i lost two cousins suddenly & tragically about 10-1/2 years ago, & you do not forget what it's like to bear the weight of such grief. you just don't.

i'm so very sorry you are walking through this. i'm certain your presence & your love will be remembered. there really are no words for times like these.

with much love & prayers,
*k

23 degrees said...

Kirsten, thank you for your presence, for your heart here. It means a lot.

23 degrees said...

mommanator, thank you for your thoughts. This tragedy really made me think of how amazing my son is, and how blessed I am to be his dad.

Craver Vii said...

Profoundly tragic. I can't even imagine.

L.L. Barkat said...

No words. Just an embrace, if that be possible across this digital divide.

23 degrees said...

Craver, thanks for stopping in, brother. Please remember the families of these boys in your prayers.

LL, thank you. It reached me.

Lauren said...

I am sitting here reading this on my couch, and the tears keep coming. Thank you, thank you for going to that man whom you hardly knew and sitting with him in his grief. That took a lot of courage, and I believe it's what Jesus wanted you to do. I am praying for their family and for you.

23 degrees said...

Lauren, thank you for your kind words of affirmation and your prayers for the families.

There were so many feelings and emotions here that were hard to express, hard to even feel.

What a broken world we live in.

L.L. Barkat said...

Off topic here....

so, when shall we see more of your beautiful artwork? (hint, hint : )

Scott R. Davis said...

thanks for the way you honor the people in the story. I could almost see them in the piece. It could be a good chicken soup for the soul piece maybe for a book on dealing with grief and loss. may Jesus bless you in all that you do.
for hope, go to my blog at www.scottrdavis.blogspot.com
peace again I leave you.

Remember with God there is no degrees of separation to those who love Him.

Dean said...

There's no way to make this feel better for those left behind. I know the pain my own parents went through losing two sons. Made me terrified to have any of my own. I'll never forget my father's words when we went to say our last goodbye's to my brother. It's just something that should never happen. So, like you, I will cherish every day with the children I now have and tell them daily that I love them.

Jena said...

My dad killed a buddy of his in high school and never got over the guilt. He was driving, his friend was a passenger, and they had an accident. The love and compassion of your community will make all the difference. My dad said the boy's parents never forgave him. I'm glad you guys are there to minister in a way only you can. God knows what He is doing.

23 degrees said...

Scott, thanks for stopping in and for your kind comments.

Dean, sorry it took so long for me to respond. I can't imagine what you and your folks went through. Yes, we need to cherish each day, each moment. Peace of Christ to you.

Jena, wow, I didn't know this. I agree about community and the acceptance of him, and I think he is doing well. The other boy's folks have embraced him and love him. He has been over a couple of times and will was just sentenced and will be doing 6 months. Keep him in your prayers (Evan).

Jena said...

I hate to hear he has to go to jail. But otherwise, all that news is very good for him. What a tragedy. I sure will be praying for him.