Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sheer Goofiness


We adopted a shepherd puppy for my daughter's birthday in February. This is not our first dog, in fact, we already have a fluff-n-luv at home, so we knew what to expect (but it has been eight years, so there are somethings we have forgotten.)

With having a puppy in the house, there is the amazing, soft, loving part where you ask yourself "why didn't I adopt this fluffer-nutter earlier, what a cutie! She is fun to play with, she is afraid of the oddest inanimate things, and she sleeps on your feet while you do the dishes. And then there is the poo part that comes in tandem with it, many times in the wrong places, at the wrong times, between the wrong toes. And it doesn't take too long for you to realize why God made them so cute, or they would be so dead.

Beyond the innocence, the kisses, and tootsie roll surprises, a pup brings something to life's equation something that I think we all so desperately need. Sheer goofiness. I think that life would be more fun if we all resolved ourselves to, (at the right times) a measure of sheer goofiness.

In remembrance of goofiness, here are some fun things I that I have done through the years. I hope they inspire you, and that you will share some of your stories, too.

I have blown streams of bubbles over the top of my cubical with my fan.

I have bubble-wrapped many car tires.

Filled a locker with popcorn.

Offered plastic chicken legs to people at the strangest times.

With kids in tow, I would stalk my wife's car, and when she went into a store, I would move it very far away from where she parked, and then we would wait to watch her look for it.

Called one of our kids at school, had them come to the phone in the office just to tell them I set a new personal record in bench-press that morning. She still laughs about it.

Once, on a day over 100 degrees, I turned the heater on in our van until I was pouring sweat, and found a great polka channel before I picked up our kids from the mall.

I love to make up dialogue for people walking into and out of stores. It can really be a fun way to pass the time while waiting for someone.

I have a watch that can control TV volume— a source of great fun at the gym.

I have been known to four-wheel in a two-wheel drive vehicle, hitting the brakes, jerking the wheel and engaging the wipers, sometimes while dropping the kids off at school.

I have great impressions of Alpaca salesmen and Indian Cobra dealers I use when I leave voice-mail. My Jimmy Stewart is 98% on, and of course I can do Arnold Schwartzenegger very well.

Your turn!

7 comments:

christianne said...

Your little pup is SO CUTE!! Awww. He's got big ears and white fluffy paws and fur. I wanna snuggle her! :)

Yes, you sure are goofy. I loved learning this about you. I, on the other hand, am not so goofy. Too reserved and self-conscious to be too goofy in public. But not in public? Now we're talking!

I make silly noises. I also make silly voices.

I can carry on a conversation by myself with an imaginary person.

Sometimes, when I get really tired, I get the silliest giggles. Then Kirk says, "Okay, here we go." And he knows I'm helplessly a goner.

Sometimes the conversations I carry on with myself and an imaginary person happen without my realizing it has happened. I think I'm having a conversation with Kirk. Then suddenly I'm not and he says, "Okay, here she goes. She's having a conversation with herself again." And then I erupt in a spasm of giggles because it's so darn silly.

Sometimes I get caught up in the hyperactivity of silliness and fling my body all over the bed like I'm a fish flopping on the ground out of water. It's a way to get the giggles and energy out.

I like to make up words. Blossyscotch, for instance, is a word that's been with me since I was 7.

I talk to inanimate objects as though they are personified.

PS: Of course, props are in order for finding yet another way to sneak in the plastic chicken legs label!

23 degrees said...

Hey, former THG! What is it about the giggles that is so euphoric, so trance-like that they take over!? I love that you admitted to this behavior, fun! (goofy!) Kirk, I think a video of this may be in order, bro.

I love "blossysplotch" and will be crafting a definition for it of my very own—and using it in everyday conversation.

Yeah, plastic chicken legs. Can't get enough of 'em.

Thanks for stopping in, Christianne.

kirsten said...

i put an old movie on mute and make up my own dialogue. i don't know why this is more fun with older movies -- it just is.

i sing with the music in my car and dance with it while at stoplights, getting more and more dramatic as people look my way.

...

if my brain and my body weren't so tired, i could come up with more, i am sure. i had no idea how much being engaged would enable me to remain awake until hours previously thought unthinkable ... (and yeah, the story is over at my place).

it's so good to see you in this space again. thank you for making me laugh, and for the good ideas!! i'm totally going to bubble-wrap someone's tires. :o)

Lifelong Learner said...

My husband does the dialogue thing, but with animals. It's hilarious! I have no idea how he can think of those things so quickly. The dialogue goes so perfectly with their movements. Our kids beg for him to do it.

23 degrees said...

Kirsten, sorry for the delay in responding to your ideas...I got so distracted by that diamond on your blog! (so happy for you!)

I can totally see the old movie thing! I often thought if would be great to have a film series (going out on a juvenile limb here) that adds gaseous sounds into movies...)

I love that you sing at stoplights, and I am looking forward in seeing video on that! (come on, you know you have some)

Stacy, thanks for popping in and for sharing what "Bruce Willis" does in his spare time. I can just imagine the fun he has doing voices of exotic animals.

L.L. Barkat said...

A...dor...a...ble.

Hey, on another note, I'm thinking it's time for a poem... maybe?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pup, and nice photography. I hope all is well in your world. I'm finally feeling like myself after 16 months, praise God.